BASIC FREEDIVER COURSE $199
Improve your Breathhold
Whether you’ve been freediving or spearfishing for awhile or new to the sport this course is for you. As it focuses on improvement it doesn’t matter where you are in your journey. We haven’t had anyone yet who hasn’t seen a massive improvement in their breath hold and technique.
Freediving exposes us to like minded people and so you can make new friends, both human and aquatic when you learn to dive with us.
Once you are able to trust and understand the theory of what the human body is capable of when freediving, the fear of running out of air subsides and you are able to find peace.
The course provides the essential information and skills covering
– breathing techniques and conserving oxygen
– static apnea
– dynamic apnea
– gearing up for your freedive
– streamline your duck dive and finning techniques
– the do’s and don’ts of Freediving
– all about shallow water blackouts
– how to rescue someone from a shallow water blackouts
– plus you’ll meet some cool new friends and you’ll get to practice all this in our on-site heated pool.
Everyone improves and everyone learns something on this course whether you are an absolute beginner or have been freediving for awhile.
This sport is all about conserving your oxygen, technique and your all-important breath hold and everyone can improve with practicing the correct techniques. Plus it’s heaps of FUN!
To enroll in a Basic Freediver course you must be 12 years old or older. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health.
No prior experience with snorkeling, skin diving or freediving is required.
In the Basic Freediver course, you learn to use a low volume mask, snorkel and freedive fins, and may also use a wetsuit and weight belt. Using gear designed specifically for freediving is best, however, in this course, you may be able to use snorkeling equipment you already own.
- Our Freedive instructor is a passionate freediver
- We have our own indoor on-site heated training pool and changing facilities with showers. We may also go to another local pool for some of the training.
- We train in small groups with a max of 8 students per instructor
- Location in central Whangarei with on-site training pool and full retail store.
- PLUS we offer all of our students a discount on all dive equipment bought from us
What to expect on your course
The Basic Freediver course consists of three main phases. The first is Knowledge Development, which covers everything you need to know about basic techniques, terminology and safety procedures in freediving. You’ll be given access to an online module which is yours to keep and work through at home prior to the course starting.
The second is looking at freedive equipment, followed by breathe holding practise (Static Apnea) in the classroom. This covers stretching, relaxing and ‘taking a proper breath’.
The Third is Confined Water, which are training sessions conducted in the pool. This gives you the opportunity to get used to the gear you’ll be using and practice the basic skills of freediving and techniques to keep you safe. Things we’ll cover include:
- Static Apnea (you’ll be surprised at how much improvement you’ll see after just one session)
- How to correctly weight yourself
- The correct ‘duck diving’ position. This is where you burn the most oxygen. Perfecting the duck dive will improve your time underwater immensely.
- Buddy System
- Freedive safety
- Dynamic Apnea
- Different Finning techniques and how to get the most efficient kick
- All important buddy rescue on the surface and from depth.
Standard Course Schedule
Home study (2 hours) to be completed before attending
Basic Freediver Course eLearning (Theory).
Daytime 9.00am - 4pm OR 2 Evenings from 5.30-8.30pm
Theory re-enforcement and explanation. Introduction to the equipment. Breathhold techniques. Freedive training in the pool.
If at any time you are uncomfortable or feel you need any extra time, we are happy to provide this. We pride ourselves in producing high quality divers who have the confidence and skills to go diving safely with their buddy!!
BEFORE YOU START THE COURSE
- Check the medical questionnaire to check whether you are fit to dive.
- You have to complete the theory course. This takes about 2 hours for the online theory (eLearning).
- A minimum age of 12 years applies.
- Every student under 18 needs to have a parent or a guardian sign a consent form.
A minimum of 2 students are required for this course to run – Maximum of 8
Group bookings, private courses or pick your own dates?
If you have a group of 3 or more, you can pick your own dates for the course without paying anything extra! Or if you would like a private course for yourself and your partner or just for you, that’s possible as well! For all group, school and private course bookings, please contact us to discuss details and pricing! Private courses are a lot more affordable than you might think!
Basic Freediver Course Dates
Tuesday 22nd November 10am-5pm
Thurs 23rd November 5.30pm, then Thurs 30th Nov from 6pm
Tues 5th December from 5.30, then Wed 6th December from 6pm
What to expect once you book your course
We will send you an information pack with everything you need to know for the course. We will also send you out information regarding your eLearning login and registration.
It is important that you complete the medical form and get clearance from your doctor if you answered “YES” to any of the forms before coming along to the course.
Leave yourself enough time to complete the eLearning prior to the course start date (around 2 hours).
We limit our courses to small groups and so if a student does not turn up for a course will have have to rebook and pay a rebooking fee of $50